Uzbekistan’s development in reforming its overall health procedure continues, new WHO report demonstrates
Uzbekistan has embarked on an formidable process to modernize its well being procedure and make development toward universal wellness coverage. A new WHO/Europe report outlines a series of suggestions for nationwide reform, supporting the Government’s strategies to develop wellness reforms attained in the region of Syrdarya. “Transforming the wellness technique in Uzbekistan: two-yr implementation overview” focuses on 3 crucial locations:
- reworking key wellbeing treatment
- implementing health and fitness funding reforms
- further building digital resources in the overall health sector.
At a countrywide plan dialogue in Tashkent on 15 September 2023, over 100 contributors, such as associates from government establishments, regional authorities and advancement partners, concluded that the approach supplies realistic advice and timely suggestions on how to proceed with the health system reform rollout by 2026.
“The classes realized in Syrdarya are a very promising get started, and show us that obtaining tangible benefits in other areas is doable,” mentioned Dr Natasha Azzopardi-Muscat, Director of the Division of Country Overall health Guidelines and Methods at WHO/Europe. “Our new report highlights the significance of powerful management and approaches to increase results and simplicity people’s fiscal load. We at WHO/Europe proceed to stand prepared to assist the Governing administration of Uzbekistan on this journey.”
Dr Farrukh Sharipov, Deputy Minister of Overall health of Uzbekistan, emphasized, “This assessment of Uzbekistan’s health and fitness reforms lays a promising foundation to recognize forthcoming troubles and chances that we can capitalize on from the experience in Syrdarya. As plans for expansion to other oblasts are on the horizon, we now have stable groundwork to decide the required changes and parts of emphasis, primary to the enhancement of a far more sustainable and efficient overall health-care technique.”
Results achieved in Syrdarya
This new initiative started in 2020, when the state adopted a landmark legislation offer that it carried out in Syrdarya in 2021. By means of its Common Overall health Protection Partnership, WHO supported the advancement of the legal basis for the reforms, which includes a presidential resolution developing obligatory overall health insurance plan.
Critical achievements to day include things like:
- the establishment of a point out health and fitness insurance policy fund as a one acquiring company contracting health and fitness services and pharmacies
- far better organized major well being-care (PHC) companies in Syrdarya
- new service provider payments and contracts with health facilities and
- advanced digital wellness (e-overall health) info devices utilised by pharmacies.
These developments have laid a robust foundation for future adjustments and have elevated potential to build a extra effective and responsive nationwide wellbeing procedure.
In addition to detailing the major development achieved, the report consolidates actionable coverage tips across the 3 main locations. These tips will be pivotal in making certain helpful nationwide rollout and progress toward common health and fitness protection for the Uzbek inhabitants.
A cornerstone of reforms
Now that rollout is set to broaden to the city of Tashkent and the area of Karakalpakstan, the new WHO report recommends the establishment of an interagency PHC undertaking drive led by the Ministry of Well being and involving significant-degree stakeholders to translate the legislation into motion.
“The priority should be to decisively retain constructing on the original successes of the PHC reforms in Syrdarya, so these have been high-quality-tuned and solidified dependent on accrued practical experience and on making capacities at regional, oblast and nationwide amounts,” reported Ms Umida Gazieva, Head of the Department of Organization of Health and fitness Care Shipping and delivery of the Ministry of Wellness.
Some notable milestones completed in this spot include things like:
- expanded roles and autonomy for practising and patronage nurses
- ability for family medical professionals to devote additional time to advanced situations
- proof-informed scientific recommendations and protocols for priority ailments
- increased teamwork and
- more powerful links concerning PHC groups and area community organizations (makhallas) through the purpose of patronage nurses.
The report also emphasizes the significance of strengthening the position of family members medication within just the recently proven PHC groups. It advocates for reintroducing the family members medication speciality education programme to strengthen household medicine’s competencies, prestige and recognition.
Strengthening wellness funding
The report praises the purpose of the state health and fitness coverage fund as a essential transformative force in implementing health system reform in Uzbekistan. It notes that a standard tax-funded overall health insurance plan technique is the most feasible design for the country’s context, and recommends cautious monitoring of the effects of newly implemented payment units.
Other suggestions pertaining to health and fitness funding contain:
- continued capacity enhancement of the point out health and fitness insurance coverage fund to guidance the nationwide rollout
- a gradual changeover toward a countrywide solitary finance pool beneath the point out wellbeing insurance plan fund to increase the worth of general public resources and equitable resource allocation and
- elevated autonomy for providers, adhering to the establishment of accountability mechanisms.
Progress in the e-overall health program nevertheless involves the definition of crystal clear a governance system and priorities. This will entail setting up a legal framework, clarifying roles and duties between stakeholders, and developing collection and analytical resources to facilitate informed conclusion-generating.
About the report
The new report is a joint merchandise of the WHO Barcelona Workplace for Wellbeing Systems Funding and the WHO European Centre for Principal Health and fitness Treatment.